Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Recent news

I was in Southern California last week. My daughter Maíra graduated from Claremont McKenna College, so that was a nice event. While in the area, I played a couple of gigs. I did a CD release concert at the Vic for Jazz in Santa Monica (www.thevicforjazz.com) with Mike Shapiro on drums and Leo Nobre on bass. Both play in Sergio Mendes' band, and it was a pleasure to perform with them. I also played with flutist Rebecca Kleinmann, who is releasing a new CD, "Raio de Sol". We played at La Ve Lee in Studio City and also at Soho in Santa Barbara.

I am reading some very interesting books about music perception. One of them is "Hearing in Time" by Justin London (Oxford University Press). The author goes deep into the nature of rhythm, meters, musical tempo and much more...

No comments: